Now showing 1 - 5 of 5
- ItemComputational fluid dynamics: a practical approach(Elsevier, 2007-10-26) Tu, JY; Yeoh, GH; Liu, CQComputational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), once the domain of academics, postdoctoral researchers or trained specialists, is now progressively becoming more accessible to graduate engineers for research and development as well as design-oriented tasks in industry. Mastery of CFD in handing complex flow and heat industrial problems is becoming ever more important. Competency in such a skill certainly brings about a steep learning curve for practicing engineers, who constantly face extreme challenges to come up with solutions to fluid flow and heat transfer problems without a priori knowledge of the basic concepts and fundamental understanding of fluid mechanics and heat transfer. © 2008 Elsevier
- ItemAccelerator mass spectrometry ultrasensitive analysis for global science(CRC Press, 1998-03-25) Tuniz, C; Kutschera, W; Fink, D; Herzog, GF; Bird, JRThis extensive undertaking, Accelerator Mass Spectrometry, conducts an elaborate and comprehensive summary of one of the foremost catalysts of progress in scientific research. Accelerator mass spectrometry (AMS), an innovative analytical technique, measures rare atoms at unprecedented levels of sensitivity, revolutionizing the science of radiocarbon dating and accessing new natural radioisotopes as environmental tracers and chronometers. This book demonstrates how AMS is applied in the studies of extraterrestrial materials, the earth sciences, the future of the global environment, and the history of mankind. This compendium also highlights the significant impact of AMS on several fields of scientific investigation, spurring remarkable studies in global climate change, ancient artifacts, pollution, nuclear safeguards, geochronology, and materials characterization. The myriad of sample types and variety of applications in this examination include: Meteorites from Mars Ancient air trapped in Antarctic ice The Shroud of Turin The dating of human bones The colonization of the Americas and Australia Ancient rock art The crown of Charlemagne Cancerogenic effects of cooked meat The consequences of the Chernobyl accident The role of aluminum in Alzheimer's Disease This unique edition has compiled the diverse set of scientific literature into a single volume, suitable as a text or resource on the major AMS-related outcomes, issues, and methods.
- ItemComputational techniques for multiphase flows(Elsevier, 2009-10-01) Yeoh, GH; Tu, JYMixed or multiphase flows of solid/liquid or solid/gas are commonly found in many industrial fields, and their behavior is complex and difficult to predict in many cases. The use of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) has emerged as a powerful tool for the understanding of fluid mechanics in multiphase reactors, which are widely used in the chemical, petroleum, mining, food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries. This book enables scientists and engineers to the undertand the basis and application of CFD in muliphase flow, explains how to use the technique, when to use it and how to interpret the results and apply them to improving applications in process engineering and other multiphase application areas including the pumping, automotive and energy sectors. © 2009, Elsevier Ltd.
- ItemChanging climates, earth systems and society(Springer, 2010-09-29) Dodson, JRThe book covers state-of-the-art considerations on how climate change has and will deliver impacts on major globalised biophysical and societal themes that will affect the way the world functions. Human activity has resulted in changes to atmospheric chemistry and land cover, and caused serious decline in biodiversity. Modifying biogeochemical cycles leads to complex feedbacks. The future climate will have impact on food security and agriculture, water supply and quality, storm and cyclone frequency, shoreline stability, biodiversity and the future of biological resources. Earth scientists might be asked to forecast any potential abrupt or environmental surprises. A sound knowledge of the Earth System will improve the chances of achieving this, by developing climate models that will reduce the degree of uncertainty in regional climate prediction. © 2010, Springer. The original publication is available at www.springerlink.com
- ItemAustralian physical environment(Oxford University Press (OUP), 2008-07-11) Bridgman, H; Dragovich, D; Dodson, JRThe Australian Physical Environment uses a systems approach to introduce students to the three critical aspects of the physical environment: the atmosphere, the biosphere, and the lithosphere. International and national comparative examples are used to place Australia's unique environment within a global context. © 2008, Oxford University Press (OUP)